Saturday, January 8, 2011

The Weekend

Last night we went out to Icelandic Fish and Chips. I ordered haddock and it was absolutely amazing. I could really get used to eating fresh fish. The restaurant was cute and it was reasonably priced.

After that we decided it was time to experience Reykjavik night life.  We were all planning to head out around 11 pm. The students that lived in the dorms last semester laughed at us and said nobody would be on the streets until at least 2:00 am. We left at 1:30 and the bars were pretty empty. I ordered my first legal beer. It was a little exciting, but I just felt guilty that it was so expensive and gross. We went to three bars. I got extremely tired at 4:30 am so a friend and I headed back home. Most bars here close at 6 am. It's wild.

I got up and went to the flea market with a few other friends. I somehow lost a scarf on the journey here and found one there for only 200 krona. Wahoo! They sell also sell veggies, fresh fish, lamb and cured shark at the market. 

The photo is of a pond in between my dorm and the downtown area. It's finally completely frozen!  People typically buy skates from the market and then skate around on it all day. 

2 comments: